Maroggia Mill (polenta and flour)

Maroggia Mill is a family business established in the late 1800s by founder Michael Stadlin, a descendant of an old family of millers active in central Switzerland.

Maroggia has always been a municipality associated with milling, in fact, as early as 1800 the Raggi and Contestabile mill was in operation, later taken over in 1888 by the Stadlin family. In 1904 a rice mill located on the site where the mill now stands was purchased. The rice mill was demolished to make way for a new mill: well located and served, thanks to the private track that connected it with the railway line, a track that even today is indispensable for the rational supply of bulk grain. The structure was completed by the construction of a wooden silo that still exists today. The new mill began production in 1924.

Between the years 1940-1950, with improvements, the mill and warehouses were later enlarged. A second concrete silo was also erected during this period.

The production department is constantly being renovated with new machines that gradually increase its productivity, new silos for storing finished products are being laid, and the bagging department is being redone, which is now fully automated.

In 2017, the oldest part of the plant, the part that once housed the rice mill, was renovated for the benefit of a larger and more practical warehouse for packaged products. A 170-square-meter space dedicated to visitors and events also sees the light of day with the warehouse.

At the same time, a mixing and bagging line for special products is implemented in the production department.

The mill is now fully automated.

Perhaps not everyone knows that:
In the late afternoon of Saturday, August 1, 1998, a very violent hailstorm concentrated on Maroggia and the lower Mara Valley, followed by a cloudburst completely flooded the mill, rendering the machinery unserviceable, destroying the stock of finished products, and causing severe damage to the buildings.
The desire to keep the milling tradition alive drove then-owner Luigi Fontana, to the complete renovation of the complex, strongly motivated by his son Alessandro’s choice to continue in the family business.